The Santa Shoebox Project is a wonderful cause that the idu team has supported annually over the past four years. Started in our home town of Cape Town, the Project began by collecting 180 shoeboxes for children in orphanages, children’s homes and care centres locally; by 2013 the project had collected 118 274 shoeboxes to be distributed to over 1000 facilities across South Africa and Namibia.
What makes the project so special is that you can choose the name, age and gender of the child you are creating the shoebox for, adding a very personal touch. We enjoy being able to choose the children we are donating to and putting together boxes especially for those children; our team members choose the children and create their own shoeboxes and we donate them as a company. We have donated a total of 111 shoeboxes since 2011.
This year, the project has extended its reach by creating additional channels for involvement. There is the option of donating a Virtual Box online for donors who don't live close to any of the drop-off zones. The virtual boxes will be put together by Checkers who will pass them to the Santa Shoebox team to take care of delivery. There is also the option to donate Proudly South African raincoats to children who live in high winter rainfall areas, to keep them dry on their way to school every day.
Corporate clients and other sponsors can also make financial donations to the new Santa Shoebox Legacy fund that will provide additional support to children’s facilities in the form of financing and introducing a new skill every year to build and uplift communities across South Africa.
There are only 2 weeks left before the cut off for Santa Shoeboxes and thus far only 90% of the boxes have been pledged, so you and your organisation can still use one of these channels to bring some magic into the lives of these children and their communities.
- Email friends and family - nothing beats a personal recommendation
- Invite all your Facebook friends - also those living abroad and out of town as there are still many Virtual Boxes available - especially for them. All Virtual Boxes are earmarked for farm schools in rural areas.
- Download the supporter logo and e-signature from the Handy Downloads page on the SSB Facebook page and include on your website and email.
- Mention Santa Shoebox on your blog.
- Mention Santa Shoebox to your HR Department as a worthwhile CSI initiative.
- Tweet about it @santashoebox #SSB2014
You can also volunteer to work at one of the drop off points, particularly at the Santa’s Workshop drop off at the CTICC. You can register through the website or mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get involved and help make a difference!